Return to Course Listing
CME: The United States CTEPH Proceedings 2021, Part 3
ACCREDITATION EXPIRED: December 14, 2022
Activity Description / Statement of Need:
***Please note that, in order to access these course materials, you must create a user profile if you do not already have one. Your profile one ScientiaCME's website is unrelated to your profile on North American Thrombosis Forum's (NATF's) website.***
The content of this online activity was originally presented as part of a live event. It is divided into three videos. Learners must view all videos in their entirety and complete a post-activity assessment and evaluation before they are eligible for continuing credit.
The North American Thrombosis Forum's (NATF’s) "United States CTEPH Proceedings 2021" provides a multidisciplinary framework for the evaluation and management of patients with chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension (CTEPH). The activity is comprised of didactic presentations, debates, and panel discussions involving national and international experts in the field.
Covered topics in the series will include:
- The epidemiology of chronic thromboembolic disease in the US
- Contemporary approaches to diagnosing CTEPH
- The latest in surgical advancements
- The role of pulmonary hypertension (PH) targeted medical therapy and balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA) in the management of inoperable CTEPH
This activity has been designed to provide internists, pulmonologists, cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons, interventional cardiologists and radiologists, anesthesiologists, thoracic radiologists, nurses, and allied healthcare professionals with state-of-the-art information to evaluate and manage patients with CTEPH.
Supported by educational grants from: Abbott Laboratories; Acceleron Pharma Inc.; Actelion Pharmaceuticals US, Inc., a Janssen Pharmaceutical Company of Johnson & Johnson; and Boston Scientific Corporation.
This internet enduring material activity is part of a series of activities. Participation in this activity is free of charge.
December 15, 2021 -- Expiration Date: December 14, 2022
Faculty: Multiple Faculty,
Nonsurgical Management of CTEPH: Medical
Inoperable CTEPH: Defining the Role of Medical Treatment Alison Witkin, MD
The Hematology of CTEPH: Perioperative Considerations Richard Channick, MD
Post-PTE Anticoagulation, Warfarin vs. DOACs: End of the INR? Ivan Robbins, MD
Life After PTE: Residual PH Assessment and Mechanical VTE Risk Mitigation Anjali Vaidya, MD, FACC, FASE, FACP
Balloon Pulmonary Angioplasty: The New Frontier
The Great Debate: Distal CTEPH – Getting to the Root of the Problem: PTE or BPA? Michael Madani, MD, FACS and Robert Frantz, MD
Technical Considerations and Challenges in BPA Riyaz Bashir, MD
BPA: How Much BPA Is Enough? Targets, Goals, and Limitations Richard Krasuski, MD
BPA After PTE: Whether to Consider, When to Do It Ken Rosenfield, MD
Medical Management in a Non-PTE Candidate Michael Cuttica, MD
Handling Vessel Injury and Hemoptysis After a BPA David Poch, MD
BPA Combined with Medical Management in Inoperable CTEPH Vladimir Lakhter, DO
By the end of the session the participant will be able to:
- Discuss an updated understanding of the pathophysiology of CTEPH
- Describe the latest diagnostic and evaluative approaches to patients with suspected chronic thromboembolic disease and apply that information to a patient case
- Explain the role of balloon pulmonary angioplasty in the management of inoperable CTEPH and apply that information to a patient case
- Define the role of medical therapy in selected patient groups with CTEPH and apply that information to a patient case
ACCME Activity #201861290
ACCREDITATION FOR THIS COURSE HAS EXPIRED. YOU MAY VIEW THE PROGRAM, BUT CME / CE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE AND NO CERTIFICATE WILL BE ISSUED.
Faculty Disclosure and Resolution of COI
- Sonja Bartolome, MD: Consultant – Janssen
- Riyaz Bashir, MD: Equity Holder – Thrombolex, Inc.
- Richard N. Channick, MD: Speaker – Actelion, Bayer; Advisor – Actelion, Bayer, Gossamer, Third Pole, Aria CV, Acceleron
- Michael Cuttica, MD: Consultant, Speaker Bureau, Advisory Board, PI – Bayer; Speaker Bureau, Advisory Board, Consultant – United Therapeutics, Janssen
- Paul Forfia, MD: Consultant – Bayer, Janssen, United Therapeutics
- Robert P. Frantz, MD, FACC: Grant application review board, with compensation to institution – Bayer; Paid Consulting: Janssen, Liquidia; Consulting, with payment to institution: Acceleron, Gossamer Bio; Presentations, with payment to institution: United Therapeutics; Advisory Board – Janssen; Steering Committee – Janssen
- Richard A. Krasuski, MD: Paid Consultant – Actelion/Janssen, Gore Medical; Research Funding – Actelion/Janssen; Investigator – Edwards Lifesciences, Corvia, CryoLife, and Medtronic; Travel Grants – CryoLife, Medtronic
- Michael M. Madani, MD: Paid Consultant – Actelion/Janssen, Bayer, Merck, Wexler Surgical
- Vallerie McLaughlin, MD: Grant support – Acceleron, Janssen, Sonovie, United Therapeutics; Scientific Consulting – Acceleron, Aerovate, Altavant, Bayer, Caremark, Civi Biopharma, Corvista, Gossamer Bio, Janssen, Merck, United Therapeutics
- David Poch, MD: Investigator – Janssen, United Therapeutics, Phase Bio, Acceleron
- Ivan Robbins, MD: Advisory Board, PI – Bayer; PI – Complexa, Inc.; PI – Altavant Sciences; Advisory Board, PI – Acceleron Pharma
- Kenneth Rosenfield, MD: Consultant/Scientific Advisory Board: Althea Medical, Angiodynamics, Boston Scientific, Contego, InspireMD, Magneto, Neptune Medical, Philips, Summa Therapeutics, Surmodics, Thrombolex, Terumo, Truvic; Institutional Grants: Boston Scientific; Shareholder: Accolade, Access Vascular, Althea Medical, Contego, Cruzar Systems, Embolitech, Endospan, InspireMG, JanaCare, Magneto, Orchestra, PQ Bypass, Prosomnus, Shockwave, Summa Therapeutics, Thrombolex, Truvic, Valcare
- Anjali Vaidya, MD: Consultant, Speaker Bureau: Bayer
- Alison Witkin, MD: Advisory Board, United Therapeutics
The following individuals have no conflicts of interest to disclose:
- Vlad Lakhter DO, SVM
- Charles Turck, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP, President, ScientiaCME (Reviewer)
- Read the learning objectives above
- Take the Pre-Test (optional). Completion of the pre-test will help us evaluate the knowledge gained by participating in this CME activity.
- View the online activity. You may view this is in more than one session, and may pause or repeat any portion of the presentation if you need to.
- Minimum participation threshold: Take the post-test. A score of 70% or higher is required to pass and proceed to the activity evaluation.
- Complete the activity evaluation and CME registration. A CE certificate will be emailed to you immediately.
Windows 7 or above
Internet Explorer 8
*Adobe Acrobat Reader
Mac OS 10.2.8
Safari or Chrome or Firefox
*Adobe Acrobat Reader
Internet Explorer is not supported on the Macintosh
*Required to view Printable PDF Version